Thursday, October 28, 2010

Travel Tips for Visiting Chennai

What was my first impression of Chennai on my very first visit? Well, I was too busy wiping off beads of sweat the minute I exited from the Chennai domestic airport to even register anything! I had been warned that it is sizzling hot during the month of May, but boasted how I loved hot summers and that I could take the heat. So there I was, walking to the car, already feeling the ‘summer’ seeping through my clothes. I have always hated air-conditioned vehicles and prefer to keep the windows down and enjoy the breeze. It was in Chennai that I realized the advantage of an ac car! In fact, I considered myself really really lucky to have my relative’s car available for my entire stay.

Tips for Staying in Chennai
* Take along an umbrella or wear a cap and don sunglasses each time you step out.
* Carry a bottle of water in your handbag. It is totally pointless leaving a bottle of water in the car with the thought of quenching your thirst when you return from your wanderings, as within a few minutes the bottle and its contents are going to get heated up!
* Take along sufficient clothes. It gets so hot that your clothes literally STICK to your skin and, you will want to change your clothes the minute you return from touring around. This is the case even with simple cotton garments.
* If the heat is really getting to you while you are walking around, just duck-in for a while into the nearest shop for a few minutes. It doesn’t matter if you’re not planning to buy anything – every shop’s staff is so helpful and kind that they won’t be rude to you even if you simply look around the merchandise.
Despite the heat, I honestly loved Chennai and in my next blog will share with you the places I visited.

No comments:

Post a Comment